View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I am so sorry that no one has answered your post yet. some of us are away, and some are thinkers and need time to form answers. Hang in there.

My response is...

MS is the great imitator. it can closely mirror so many other diseases, and many of us who have this disease are still in the "what are they talking about" lane. I am glad that you are seeking medical care, and continueing to seek more answers instead of sitting in the corner and waiting for them to come to you. loads of us have been dismissed, misdiagnosed, and shoved from one MD to another.

MS is diagnosed through time and space. It "normally" requires 7 to 10 lesions in specific areas of your brain to appear in at least 2 MRIs done at least six months apart. The ventricle area will have a spattering of lesions from where the mylin has been eaten surrounding that area. Usually at least 2 "attacks" of anything from a dropped foot to Optic neuritis. Its very rare to be diagnosed on your first attack, unless your MRI is full of lesions, and even then they put you in the "suspected" lane till another MRI can be done WITH contrast six months down the line.

So, 2 attacks, 7 to 10 lesions, and a consistant history of flairs, or Optic neuritis. An LP (spinal tap) that shows Obands is typically thrown in as part of the proving grounds. 99% of the time no obands, no lesions, and minor flairs will result in being sent home to continue seeking another reason for your flairs other than MS.

There are more than 100 other diseases that can mimic MS. Some of them produce lesions, some dont. B12 deficiency. Lyme, MG, Sjogrens, Lupus, and the list goes on and on. Its EXTREMELY difficult to diagnose MS through a message board, even with clearly descriptive language. Most end up here with a firm dx in hand, or still in the chase of trying to find the answers for "what is this!" We would love it if you would hang out, or maybe be more descriptive about your own search. Not receiving an answer on your post simply means that most of us either didnt have time yet to respond, we missed it, or we dont know.

To answer your question more directly.

I dont know. Some here have been diagnosed with less than the required 7 to 10 lesions, and skipped the LP process because the symptoms were so dramatic, and clear to the neuro providing the tests that the door was opened, and they were taught the club house handshake. Some went with very few sx and were told their MRI was chucked full of lesions, and taught the handshake.

MS is so many different things to so many different people. Some of us are half blind from optic neuritis, and some of us are dragging a leg. Some of us are too exhausted to care for our families, and need help, and some of us are following that old text book they keep dragging out. So, its very hard to say..."this will happen for exactly two weeks, and then, it will change over to this, and then...MS forgot to read the rule book, and marches to its own drummer.

I do hope you find some answers. Most of us have been very lost, in the dark, dragged from MD to MD, and told to go home and rest, and not be so uptight. it sounds like you have a good team on your side who are not quitting without getting you some answers. That is the best first step.

Pull up a chair, and tell us more.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (04-10-2009)