View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ds's joints get very stiff when he's been glutened. Once, I heard his dance instructor chastise him for not trying hard enough because his splits were not as well done as the week before. I made a point of explaining to her that he had been glutened and please do not try to manipulate his joints when they're stiff because it hurts him. She's good about it and doesn't try to anymore but it needed about a 10 minute explanation for her because she kept insisting that she was just turning his foot, not trying to make him split farther. I had to just keep saying the same thing over and over, "He can't tolerate being manipulated for about 2 weeks after glutening, no matter how gently you're being. There's no explanation, it's just the way it is. He'll stretch it out on his own as his joints loosen."

I had to say it at least 3 times to her, and she's really a very nice person. It's hard for people to understand how profound the effect is. I know that I even still shake my head at how profoundly our whole family is affected by gluten. (Ear wax? No way!! All headaches are related to FOOD? No way!)

He's actually an excellent dancer because he's extremely strong and wiry... but if he's glutened he cannot achieve the same positions because everything stiffens right up on him. I know that's kind of opposite to what you're dealing with but I think it's kind of the same scenario as the whole diarrhea/constipation thing. I think the teacher may be requiring her to do things she feels 'uncomfortable' doing... whatever the reason.

That's my best guess, anyway. :icon_wink:
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote