View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hiya

I'm Rosie - I usually post on the RSD/ movement disorders forums.

From personal experience I have found that voice activated software is ok but there are other options depending on your level of mobility and the sort of things you type.

I use dragon naturally speaking version 9 (I think!) which is far superior to the previous version - it actually recognises my voice! (I can't speak very loudly or very well because of dystonia and I have a very English accent). I am not a wonderful fan of the software but it does allow you to write documents, go on MSN and post on forums such as this. As other people have mentioned a good quality headset / microphone is vital - and it is much easier if it is wireless - because there is nothing worse then getting muddled up in wires and having to wait for someone to disentangle you. I know that over here it is possible to try the software first and recieve training with it - if you decided to go the voice recognition software route then definetinly consider training - it makes a HUGE difference! However I still also use a mouthstick/ set of switches etc etc etc for when I can't talk properly (or my carer is in bed and doesn't want to be woken up because the headset has fallen off), and I also use a text prediction system as well which speeds up switch/ stick typing.

However, depending on your needs there may be better ways to go - switches, eye gaze systems, smaller/ larger keyboards/ EMG bands etc.

I don't know if there is a computer accessibility place near you - I had an assesment done by the computer lab of a university who also helped to make adaptive equipment. They were brilliant, went through loads of questions with me and identified the equipment which would help the most.

Also what are you going to do about a mouse? Dragon has one but personally I don't like it. There are lots of options - an eye gaze mouse, specially built up ones, IR dots etc etc..

According to cost the most economical will be a version of Dragon/ IBM BUT there is no point stimping on the software/ hardware as it will just mean you get frustrated trying to type things etc.

Hope this has been a vague help! If you have any questions I am happy to try and answer them!

Rosie xxx