View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew58 View Post
My sister, who lives in Arizona, called me yesterday and told me that she will have surgery for cancerous cysts on the tail of her pancreas, at the end of April '09. Hubby and I decided, we are going to be with my big Sis, and her family when she has to endure this surgery.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can make this long drive more pleasant/acceptable,..acceptable pain levels? My hubby WILL NOT fly.

There is no way that RSD will stop me from being with my sister, when she needs me during this difficult time for her and the family.

I knew something was wrong when she visited me about a month ago.We had not seen each other for 17 yrs. before her visit to me, our Moma's funeral. We had chatted alot on the phone those 17 yrs.

I encouraged her to see the doctor; her coloring was so off, I saw some yellowing in the whites of her eyes.. and she was having pain that radiated from her upper left side of her tummy area to her back. She said that she was just tired from her business meetings and travel. We really had so much fun being together. She was worried about me and the RSD.

The diagnosis of my sister having pancreatic cancer is overwhelming and I am still processing the chat with her from yesterday. She was afraid to tell me as she didn't want me to go into a pain flare from the stress of knowing what she was going through. She gets this diagnosis and she is worried about me..sighs. I am staying positive and We decided that everything will be ok.

Thanks,
Dew
Hello, Dew

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I have been there you won't regret one minuet of the time you spend with her. As you know a positive attitude is so important.
When I need to travel I take extra pain medication a few days before I start the trip. I drink lots of water to keep it moving through my sytem. If you don't have one and can afford to lease one get a luxury car. It makes for a really comfortable and smooth ride. I have a mercury grand marquie and it is so comfortable to ride in and there is plenty of leg room.
I agree with Diane about the stretching and moving around. Stop every few hours if only for these things.
Listen to your body and remember to take time to rest once you are with your sister and her family. If you need someone outside the family to vent to you can PM while you are there or anytime.
Take care,
Sherrie
SBOWLING is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (04-11-2009)