View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Dew,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister! I really hope that the surgery goes well and that she gets to feeling better real soon! Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time and please keep us updated when you can!!

Me and my mum have travelled 4 and a half hours to get to Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, by car and the journey was pretty painful for me. There are so many pot holes in the roads over here and no matter how much you try and avoid one, you still somehow manage to hit one!! The pot holes and speed bumps really set my pain off and it goes up quite a lot for a few minutes.

If I could suggest anything to you, it would be to wear the comfiest clothes you have. If I am travelling a long distance, I sometimes travel in my PJs and then change when we get there. When we went to London, we were going straight to an appointment so I travelled in my tracksuit bottoms and a lose fitting top. The tracksuit bottoms are the comfiest thing that I have as they are three quater length and don't touch my foot too much. I also love leggings as they are comfortable and don't touch my foot and lower leg!!

Also, it might be worth taking some extra medications to try and get rid of any flares. We travelled to Vegas in March by plane and the journey was really tough for me so my doctor gave me an 'emergency pain pack' with extra medications and anti-inflammitaries. It might be worth speaking to your doctor to see if he/she can suggest anything that may help.

I'm unsure where your RSD is but it might be worth taking some pillows with you. When we are travelling long distances, I sometimes take some pillows with me so that I can sit of them to try and stop me from feeling the vibrations in the road as much. Of course I still feel them a lot but it doesn't tend to be as much as if I haven't got any pillows with me.

Keep moving as much as possible also. Stop every few hours for a drink and walk around as much as possible. I know it can be extremely painful and tiering but it should help improve the circulation. Try and move in the car as much as possible also - even if it is just by doing a few simple leg stretches or something.

Keep hydrated as much as possible and drink lots of water. That should hopefully get rid of any increase in swelling and make you go to the toilet so you have to keep moving!!!

Take care of yourself and please send your sister my love and best wishes. Please keep us updated on the situation when you feel up to it!

Alison.
Dew58 (04-12-2009)