Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambeliever128 View Post
I am on Metformin for my stomach issues. It's used for diabetes but it's also being used for what I am dealing with. I just started it about a week ago.

You might be right on the Prevacid. I can't go off of it though. We have tried everything else for my GERD and in 3 days I'm in a mess. I have been on it for about 6 or 7 years. Can't remember but I could find out when I find my diary I kept. I never thought about the Prevacid though causing the problem.

Weight gain I don't need. I gained weight on Lyrica and because of this stomach problem that I think the Lyrica caused, I am having trouble getting it off.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking I might try another stomach med again and see if this clears up.

Ada
Metformin can cause acidosis in some people. This takes time however. But one sign is tingling of the skin. It does not commonly cause itching.

If you have been on acid blockers for a long time, I think it would be a good idea to get your B12 checked. Acid blockers block absorption of B12. (other nutrients affected are folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc)
Any number below 500 should be supplemented. (US ranges remain behind the times and quite low for normal). Many people with neuro problems are low in B12. When the serum levels get low, so does the spinal fluid concentration. Two conditions with proven low levels of spinal fluid B12 are fibromyalgia and MS, for example. But not everything has been studied yet.

Metformin inhibits B12 absorption too, as a side effect. So the longer you are on it, the likelihood of low levels developing increases. Normal people can have stores of B12 in the liver that can be as long as 5 years lasting. After those are gone, that is when symptoms start to show up. So if you have testing done in the past, reflecting using up those stores, after 5 yrs ( is a maximum optimum time) you may then test lower.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote