Thread: TV: Deadliest Catch
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
So Steve...how many can you new boat hold?

What's the longest you were ever out to sea?
My new boat holds about three people comfortably

The longest Ive ever been out to sea was two weeks

I used to be a deck hand on a Tuna Seiner out of Fairhaven Ma, from 1978-1980 and we would roam the ocean for schools of tuna from The Outer Banks of North Carolina to Cape Cod Bay..We would begin the season in June, and end around November..When we were fishing schoolies, 30 lb to 200 lb tunas we never knew when we were coming home when we left the dock..We caught them with a huge net that was a half mile long, and 240' feet deep..It had rings every so many fathoms on the bottom of the net, that a cable ran through to "purse" the net up..We would surround the whole school of fish, and if they didnt escape before we got the net pursed up, we had them..Here is a picture of my new boat, and some pictures of tuna fishing

This picture below is a tuna seiner in Long Island Sound

Me throwing a tuna in an almost full fish hold..(100 tons)

Setting the net..The seine skiff has one the end of the net, and holds tension on its end so we can make the long circle around the school of fish..Notice the cable going into the water..It is attached to the seine skiff, and when we complete the set, we start hauling back on both ends of that long cable, that goes through all the rings attached to the bottom of the net, and it closes the bottom of the net like the draw strings on a womans purse..The top of the net has styrofoam corks every so many feet, to keep the top of the net floating

Last edited by stevem53; 04-13-2009 at 02:29 PM.
stevem53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (04-13-2009), Curious (04-13-2009), hollym (04-13-2009)