View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know almost anything about this Second Life, but it seems really strange to me.

Does anyone else think it's just plain weird? Why would adults spend MONEY to buy fake land, fake clothes, fake things for a fake person on Second Life? I understand if you were a kid "play acting" (although this would probably be kind of an expensive past-time), but for adults?

I don't understand the draw of people actually wanting to spend money on fake things. Maybe the land transactions ect might be analogous to playing the stock market or something, betting that the value for a fake piece of land would go up (like monopoly meybbe?), but in Second Life, what are market forces beyond interest in the Second Life fake world itself? Seems like a risky investment based on just interest in a fake world that you have no control over how its run, ect.

Is it just me or do others just find it really weird that this is an actual huge virtual community with a lot of real-life money being used to fund fake stuff on it? Can anyone else me understand the "pull" of a fake community like this? I was never one to play with dolls... maybe that's it.