View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ras

I am very happy that I get to have the cervical thymectomy. Altho there is a small chance they will still have to crack my sternum. But I am sure everything will go great. I agree I think I paid my dues too. That was exactly the way I have been thinking. My grandma has had two fusions in her back. They are very painful indeed. I am sorry you did not have the option.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I will try and let everyone know how it goes. It may be awhile afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1256 View Post
I can't wait to get jealous about how much easier a recovery you have with the cervical thymectomy than I had with mine! I wish this would have been an option to me, but I'm glad it is an option for those of you just facing it now. I had gone into mine thinking "no problemo!", since I had 2 cervical discectomies with fusion (they take a bone chip from your hip) and plates that each took over 12 hrs.

Unfortunately, my thymectomy caused yet another disc in my neck to go, so I was dealing with severe pain from that while trying to recover from the chest surgery so I'm not a good one to ask about thymectomy pain from the sternotomy approach.

If they had this available it would have saved me a disc in my neck and a third fusion! Se la vie.

It sounds like you are having the tough time leading up to the surgery, so I say you've paid your dues and the surgery is going to go beautifully and you will be able to look forward to, at the least, a reduction in meds but my money's on a remission! I know, I know, there are no guarantees, but that's what I feel will happen for you.

I'm so excited for you!

Relax, take care, let us know how it goes, and keep the faith! Know that we'll be right there with you.
momma3love is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote