Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi Peggy,
I don't usually visit this forum but I saw your *help*. I wouldn't do any of the stretching things that I mention unless you know exactly what is causing the sciatica, and why, and how long you've had it etc... Just be really careful.

I used to have a lot of problems with sciatica, but I stopped doing a lot of the heavy yard and garden work that I used to do, and (touch wood) it's quite rare for me these days. I had a wonderful physiotherapist who taught me a lot of things that helped. I had 3 compressed lumbar discs and some other problems with various different curvatures that I've always had, and lots of instability in the lumbar area.

That's what you should really be having checked out. What exactly is causing the sciatia... for me was that compression of discs.

Sitting too long was really bad for me although at one time I used one of those ergonomic stools and that was great. I also used a lumbar support in the car and at the dining table etc.. It wasn't a small one, it actually is a couple of feet in height with a moulded bulge for the lumbar support. It seems to keep in place much better than just a small support in lumbar area.

I was told never to lie flat on my back in bed, and instead to lie on my side when I go to sleep with knees bent and it helps to put a little cushion of pillow between the knees. I thrash around a lot in a bit of a restless state when I sleep, so that's a tricky one.

If you do need to lie flat on your back in bed, then bend your knees up and place a couple of pillows under your knees. Doing these things will take pressure off the lumbar spine and hopefully release the pressure which is causing the sciatica.

Careful when lifting heavy things and be careful with the way you twist and bend. Always bend the knees.

I remember the doctor showing me one of those skeleton models of the lower spine and he moved it around simulating different postures, and that showed me a little more about what happens to those nerves, discs, and bones.

My physio spent a lot of time with me with stretching exercizes. A number of times I had to have traction. It was excellent, but I have no idea if they still do that in this day and age.

She used to also have this rack thing made of wood on the wall. It was a stretching device.

The other thing that was extremely helpful was gentle stretching and exercizing in a heated swimming pool. The main thing I felt about all that at the time was that I didn't want to do anything at all at one stage, but I knew if I didn't keep moving then it'd be harmful too... so I kept it gentle and changed my lifestyle a lot.

No more tennis. No more tenpin bowling. No more jogging or running on roads or footpaths, No more seeding, rolling, mowing, slashing fields of grass. LOL Any darn wonder I damaged my back. Of course, once it all settled down, I have found that I can do some of these things moderately. Some things I just don't even contemplate.

This is all off the top of my head. I'm sure that there would be websites that people might be able to direct you to, or even possibly more up-to-date types of hints than I've just given. It was a long while ago, but I know all those things I listed helped me enormously.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it here as well.

take care,
Lara

Last edited by Lara; 12-14-2006 at 05:12 AM. Reason: fixed errors
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote