Thread: new member
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome Carly,
I agree wholeheartedly that TG pain is some of the worst pain known to man...or woman. I've had toothaches, shingles, kidney stones....and Trigeminal Neuralgia beats them all. After a year and a half, I am finally experiencing relief by way of oxcarbazepine (Trileptal). It has taken about 6 weeks, but yesterday was my first day in 18 months with no face pain. I was first put on carbamazepine (Tegretol) and also tried gabapentin (Neurontin), but the side effects from those were just too much....dizziness, drowziness, headaches, nausea. I also went the dentist route last fall....had a tooth removed all in vain....before properly being diagnosed this past January by the emergency room doctor. I am now under the care of a neurologist.
I mentioned in another thread that back in the early 90's I had very sharp pains in my right temple area for several months off and on, but never had it diagnosed. I suspected then that it may have been due to stress or some environmental stimulus....such as air pollution or pollen, or even possibly my diet, but I was only guessing at it.
Best of luck to you.
Creekman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote