Thread: Losing it....
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Abasaki,

I did some google searches about narcotic allergies.

I found this page - http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/Cancer...CancerPain.htm

that has this quote -
Quote:
Methadone - An alternate strong narcotic analgesic indicated in uncommon situation of true allergy to morphine or hydromorphone as it is structurally different
I don't know if you have tried methadone, or if it is on the list that your doctor gave you of "meds to avoid" but from what I have read, those who are allergic to narcotics are often NOT allergic to methadone.

Did your allergic response happen during the first dose of the medications? or did it occur later on? I ask because I found this page - http://www.hopkinshospital.org/healt...d_allergy.html

Which seems to suggest that it is an allergy if the reaction happens later (after taking it for a while) but it is an idiosyncratic reaction if it happens during the first few doses... the page also says that if a person has an idiosyncratic reaction that they do need to avoid the offending medication and related medications - but according to the first link Methadone is not similar to other narcotics, so maybe that would be different?

I would not want to suggest something that might harm you, I honestly do not know much about allergies and reactions - but from what I read just now on those pages seems to make some suggestions that methadone is different from other narcotics and methadone is less likely to cause allergy and reactions.

((((((((hugs))))))

I will type more in a minute - nature is calling - be right back

Last edited by Wittesea; 12-14-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote