Thread: Back Pain
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynda 5711 View Post
had a recent fall from step ladder, injuring my right side. Intial DX was bruised ribs. After 2 weeks, pain was still unbearable. Had MRI Thoracic spine. Findings: Caudal disk extrusion with annular tear at T9/T10 with near cord contact, Left paracentral caudal disk extrusion with associated annular tear at T2/T3 with flattening of the ventral thoracic cord, and shallow left paracentral disk herniation at T1/T2 with no cord contact. Treatment was Ibuprofen, tramadol & norflex. Dr. then took me off norflex beause it was making me dizzy and put me on prednisone. 2 days ago got severe pain and numbness on left side-buttocks radiating down leg. I slipped & fell on ice 2 months ago and fell on left hip- had pain for about 2 weeks. Would recent thoracic injury to right side cause left side lumbar pain? Can MRI deterime old or new injury

Hello, and Welcome to NT

I'm sorry about your fall. Sounds like you did sustain damage from the fall. tears are not good findings. It takes a while for disc problems to settle down.

Have you seen a neurologist? Have they referred you to a neurosurgeon to get their opinion?

If you're new to pain, I'm sure you're not liking it any. So sorry for the pain you're experiencing. It's no fun.

MRIs can not date an event but they can tell if it's an old, longstanding problem; like, degenerating, osteophytes, and any arthritic changes are considered "older" changes. Whereas "tears" are more traumatic in nature.

There are lots of conservative things to try to get relief from. Look around the forum for suggestions.

Lots of times after an event, we don't really know how extensive the injuries are, then later, radicular symptoms can radiate and cause increased symptoms. They will have to be dealt with too.

Some prefer chiropractors and some prefer physical therapists. I would ask around for patient satisfaction.

Usually 6 weeks is time for injuries to heal and get better. If it goes longer than 6 months, then you're at what's considered maximum medical improvement; enough time has gone by for a doc to give an opinion as to the extent of damage and prognosis.

Give it time to heal. It can be very frustrating.

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote