View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi lynxgal,
I'm sorry to hear that your son has to wait to see a neuro. Just like your son I started having migraine headaches when I was 10 yrs. old and that led into absence (petit mal) sz. for me then by the age of 12 I started to have complex partial sz. also. It was a nightmare for me when I was going through puberty because the hormones in my body were changing so much that it caused me to have over 300 sz. a yr. My neuro at the time had me on 5 different AED's dilantin, zarontin, phenobarbital, mysoline, and tegretol and I was out of it I was so drugged up. My advice to you is to keep your son away from anything with nutra sweet in it like diet soda because it's been proven that nutra sweet (aspartame) causes more electrical activity in the brain and can trigger sz. for many people. I found that out the hard way when I started to drink diet soda. Keep a calendar and write down what time your son has any sz. along with a discription of the sz. by doing this the neuro. may see a pattern as to what time of the day/night your son is more likely to have a sz. also take note if it happens while he's using hot water, in front of the computer, or near bright colors. If you notice that he has a sz. when using the computer or looking at bright colors he may be photosensitive which means certain colors are causing him to have sz. When they did a special e.e.g. on me they found that amber, florescent green and bright white like the sun shining on the snow caused me to have sz. You might want to try putting your son on vitamin B12 once a day to help reduce his sz. this has worked great for me. Also cut him back on the starch foods and carbs and start putting him on foods high in fat. If you have ever heard of the ketogenic diet it works great stopping sz. especially for kids I've been using it for a few yrs. and it has helped me a lot plus it helped me lose over 70 lbs. in just 4 months. You can get the book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" by Dr. John Freeman of Hopkins University. This diet works great for many people and it has been on since 1927 I'm on a lot less AED's since I went on the diet. Take note what the weather is like when your son has a sz. some people will have a sz. when a low pressure is happening and bad weather hits. I have a friend that has many absence sz. when there's a low pressure. I often get headaches when a low pressure hits and the next day I sometimes have a sz. Take note and watch your son to see if he has a daydream expression on his face or if he's wandering around, smacking his lips, or possibly pulling at his clothes. If he has a daydream look he's having an absence sz. but if he's wandering around and smacking his lips he's having a complex partial sz. If his sz. happens when he first gets up in the morning or right after he's gone to bed and he's jerking around it could be a myolconic sz. this happens to me once in awhile and I'm conscious during the entire sz. but I can't control my body with it jerking around for about 3-4 min. and I'm unable to speak. This is a new study but if you or your son get any warning of a sz. get a cool wash cloth and put it on your face and the back of your neck. They have found that it helps cool the brain down and calm the neurons in the brain from firing up and triggering sz. I've been trying it and it works great for me. Sorry to carry on so much. Wishing you and your son the best of luck and May God Bless You Both!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lynxgal (04-14-2009)