View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default RSD/CRPS is "Managed", not cured.

I'm kind of a newby here. But, I've had RSD/TOS for 26 years, which makes it half my life.
I've gone 7 of the first years with NO Diagnoses. NONE! Some doctors telling me it was in my head. (I owned a very successful business, and I loved what I did, still do).
Finally, a chiropractor recognized my symptoms from another patient, and sent me to Dr Schwartzman, at Jefferson, in Phila. He's moved on a couple times since.

This was when the RSDSA.org was first forming, and I had a brochure.

He gave me the diagnoses, along with TOS, and I wept right there. Not manly.
(Of course, my first wife didn't bother to come to any doctor with me).

I got tested, this, prodded that, blocked here, there.

Then, I moved to Dr Knobler. A more gentle, kinder way than Dr Schwartzman, many have said, but, they WERE partners, and those are Opinions!

I've been with him since the very early 90's. (And, been back to Schwartzman for the ketamine infusions).
And, through all the years I've learned several things, (and will probably edit this post, or add to it).
You get hurt. Chances are, just because of circumstances, you're going to get hurt again...
I was VERY busy. Working on Two business's , and raising my two children myself. (wife 1 didn't want to be married to a "druggy", but, went out to party the town). OK. I was happy to raise my children.

I did remarry, and wife two had a kind of nervous breakdown, her younger sister died of colon cancer, and she went into early menopause, and depression. I caught her filling my zanaflex scripts, herself, and just sleeping all day! (What?) Yep.
Then, She threw me, and my two children out of MY house, Three times!
Philly is tough on this, not to mention the affairs she had with the police.

So, now this divorce is upcoming as I write, and she is very well organized, I've been paying her out of my disability (Private), while she's been working.
She didn't report her income.....
I had a TBI in 98, and was in a kind of walking coma for several years. She took great advantage and emptied my bank accounts, etc....
And, pocketed the monies the business's were bringing in.

Anyway, the entire point of this post is NOT to dwell on my mistakes, or misfortunes. WE will All have them!

The Point IS,
That we do NOT go to Dr A, B, or C, and C is the Cure.
No such thing.

Get used to it.
Get used to being a "Manager".
Check out the definition.

This is something that we "Manage". We Do Not cure it!
Unless, you're one of those lucky few, who get it right early.

The Neurology Now article I've been sending to ya'll, has a young lady, who ended up backpacking through Europe.
I assure you, that's NOT the end of her trials.

I have a friend who, with the RSD, (I met her in the hospital taking the Ketamine infusions 20hrs/day 10 days.
With Dr Schwartzman.
She hiked the Appalachian trail. She was in fantastic shape!
She is in worse shape now, because of a fall, or two.
Than EVER.
It got ahead of her, and some meds and other anomalies put some weight on her. She's now got to work that off. Then, her husband, fell off a roof while at work, busted his foot all to hell.
Two at home, disabled.

To go back to the beginning,
We are Managers.
WE must manage our lives, our pain, any other lives that intermingle with our own, and any physical activities out of the ordinary, must be managed.
And, we must exercise!
Use it or Lose it!
(Think about that. You get to a point that's so bad, how can you exercise?)
These are the folks I worry about.

The triangle of RSD CARE.

Your Meds

You and your Neurologist > Together, strong communications.

Your Mind / Attitude

You and Your NeuroPsychiatrist (Pain management psych), Strong communications.

Your Body.
EXERCISE. USE IT, OR, LOSE IT!
No matter what!
Get to a warm pool, and walk, walk, walk!
Or, just walk anywhere you can!

Some days, we just "go down" with the pain.
The next day, we've got to Rally!
And, exercise for two days!

Keep Moving!
Don't turn on the TV!
Until you've taken a walk!

Move your ***!

Love to Ya'll,

Pete
AintSoBad
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ALASKA MIKE (04-15-2009), cindi1965 (09-26-2009), Dew58 (04-15-2009), DianaA (04-14-2009), dreambeliever128 (09-28-2009), GalenaFaolan (04-14-2009), Imahotep (04-15-2009), info hungry (04-15-2009), loretta (09-27-2009), nancyinLA (09-26-2009), SandyRI (04-15-2009), SBOWLING (04-14-2009), shogan7RSD (04-14-2009), suz66 (09-26-2009)