View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yes - This Happened to Me

Back when this happened, the orthopedic surgeon claimed it was from the RSD, so that is what I have to go on.

I have had RSD in my left foot since 1986. In the late 1990’s, every step became much more painful than it had been. It actually felt like the bones were moving around and poking me from the inside. X-rays and an exam by the orthopedic confirmed that is exactly what was happening. Even to my untrained eye, I could see that the metatarsals were much thinner in the left foot – perhaps about 60% the normal size or smaller. Because of this, they really were “floating around.”

He opened up the foot and placed several long screws into the bones to “tighten up” the first three, effectively bonding the whole upper foot into a solid mass. For the two smallest ones, screws were not possible because of the size. So, a site was opened up just below my knee to harvest some tiny bone material, which was then packed between the metatarsals and t he adjoining bones. This also eventually grew together to make a solid unit.

End result is that foot is an odd shape, making shoe shopping a challenge. It still swells, get purple, burns hot as blazes, and is sensitive to touch. But, at least when I walk, I can’t fell all of those bones banging around.

If anyone thinks this is going on, I would encourage them to get it checked by a good orthopedic surgeon, preferably one who has heard of RSD.

Love,

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (04-30-2009)