View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default live and let live as long as no one being hurt

Paula, I only addressed your comment about gay marriage. I certainly don't condone sensational, unsubstantiated magazine covers about anyone or any group of people. Nor do I believe that conservative Christianity is dead or even dying.

I agree that gay marriage and stem cell research are two of the most prominent examples of what has caused serious division in our country.
Who can disagree that "We'd all be better off if we focused on what we can positively give to society, not on angrily attacking anyone who doesn't have the same values." The problem occurs when discrimination becomes an acceptable "value." If we really want tp make the world a better place, everyone will have to mind their own business and not try to dictate to others what constitutes a marriage or a family. If heterosexual marriage represents the ideal, why have we still not figured our how to eliminate spousal abuse, infidelity, and divorce?

The fact that gays -- like Christians and women -- are treated better here than in Iran is hardly worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize. I would hope we strive for a higher standard

You say "We are going to destroy ourselves from within, and it will be the left/right division that does it. nothing good comes from hatred, division and condemnation." This does not have to be our legacy if we learn to live and let live.

I support free speech for all points of view, even neo Nazis. This includes my right to demonstrate against them on the other side of the street. As a journalist, I understand that every right taken away from one group is also taken away from me.

sheryl
SherylJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote