View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I'm Concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llrn7470 View Post
I think I am going to break down and chance getting an SCS. My RSD is left knee and below. I have been through several sympathetic blocks with limited success and am using a TENS unit in order to return to work without taking narcotics. However, I still hurt a lot and have the TENS unit so high that when I take the patches off at the end of my shift, I have actual electrical burns, triggering yet more flaring. My whole left leg looks like I have been attacked with a large postage stamp!
Am totally scared...have put this off because I wanted to exhaust all options and am petrified that it will spread. The leg is bad enough, spread might be the straw that broke my psychological back. Since the area is (relatively) limited and all low (as opposed to the experience that I have read from others who have had them for full body or neck problems), do I have less chance of spread and long term difficulties after it's implanted? How long until I can get back to work? (I'm a nurse in an ICU, so it's physical, but am doing it now despite problems with pain) Are the burns on my legs making me flare? The welts and redness remains for a couple of weeks and the texture of the skin is rough and itching like crazy despite antihistamines, and every topical thing under the sun.
I am so sorry things have gotten to this point with you. I wondered how things were going since you went back to work. I too was scheduled for a SCS for four extremities, I went through all the testing for it and passed. But, continued my research up close to the date of surgery and changed my mind. So I can't speak from personal experience and I know this is a personal choice. During my 20 years of CRPS i have spoken personally to many who have had this surgery and ultimately were completely dissatisfied. Most having it removed or wishing they could. I am aware of your desire and need to work. But, I have one request, because I really care....that is please call some people who have the implant and speak to them personally. When I was in Texas on my last dives with them, there was a commercial pilot with RSD/CRPS that had an implant and was doing HBOT, as he put it as his last resort. His pain levels, like mine were way out of control. I haven't spoken to him in a few months but the last I spoke with him (his wife is a nurse) he had done the HBOT and she put him on a RFD (raw food diet) and he was doing much better. He suggested I start juicing again. I guess what I am saying is please carefully consider this. I'll try and call him this week to see how he is doing. He had turned his stim off during HBOT and reduced his meds. I'll get back to you. Please take care. Di
DianaA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
llrn7470 (04-16-2009), loretta (04-16-2009)