View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Call your ex employer and insurance co.

Chazen18,
I just happen to be the HR person in my company, although since the stimulus came into COBRA I have been in the office much due to my illness.

This is a link you really need to read! Let me know if you have any trouble opening it.

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/...stimulus_cobra

You should call your ex employer - they are responsible for getting the COBRA and stimulus notifications out to you. How long have you been gone from there? Also, the reason for termination can come in to play with the ability to access the stimulus benefit.

Then, you should call your insurer too. Get details from them on how they suggest you handle the situation. They may or may not be helpful. It depends on when your company terminated you in the insurance system, but they should be able to provide you with accurate time frame information as to when you should receive notification, how long it should take to get you reinstated to the point that your doc can call to confirm your coverage, etc.

You need to be prepared in any event to pay your portion of any premium back to the time you were 1st terminated from the insurance. This is the only way you will show as having been continuously covered with no lapse for future insurance needs.

Best of luck. In the mean time, definately see if you can get some arrangement through a hospital to be seen. Many of the drug companies also have programs to help with necessary medications when you are in a position like yours with no income/insurance.

Let me know if I can help. Feel free to send me a PM, cause I kind on jump between several forums as they haven't dx'd my "secondary" condition yet, so I don't always get back into all the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazen18 View Post
Why is America so bad with health care coverage for people??

I got fired and am planning on (or at least was) doing COBRA. I have been waiting for the new forms associated with the Obama stimulus pkg to come in the mail so I only have to pay 35% of the premium. I haven't received them yet. I was informed by someone that you could still use your insurance card because you have 60 days to do the COBRA. If you use the insurance, I figured you would just be obligated to pay your premium for COBRA...

Not the case. The lady at the doctors office said that I would have to "self-pay" for my two appointments I have next week.. I told her to forget it.. Im unemployed.. I have NO money... Then she proceeded to tell me that even after the paper work and the money had been sent in that there is usually a significant delay for active coverage to begin.... So what is the effing point of COBRA if it isn't there to help you???

I'm about to throw in the towel and say screw it.. just not go to the doctors anymore... just not give a flying F... I don't know what else to do.. I am so emotional today... my legs up to my belly button are tingly and driving me nuts but I can't go to the damn doc because I don't have insurance and I had tried to apply for medicaid and left a couple messages for them to have my interview with them. Did they ever call me back? NOOO...

What is a person to do to get some effing health care coverage in the country??

I would file for diability... but I have to go to the doctors to do that... lol... it a freaking catch 22...

Does anyone know what the heck I can do?? I am so frustrated and so annoyed and scared too.... My legs keep getting worse... I need to go to the doc... no way i can tho.....
Chazen18 (04-16-2009)