View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile been a while....

for anyone reading this regularly, like i did pre-op, sorry it's been so long.

i had post-op #3 today, and the xrays couldn't look any better, so says my doc. i could, tho. i'm having a helluva time losing this weight i found on my couch while i couldn't do anything. but here i am, 3 months post op, and i've been riding an exercise bike for a few weeks now. (not allowed to jog yet)

i haven't taken any pain pills for about a month now, tho i still find i'm sore often, but not too bad. i did make the mistake of leaning over the bathtub to wash the dog a coupla days ago tho. she's docile enuff, but that little bit of leaning over for 5-10 minutes reminds me that i'm far from finished rehabbing.

still, it's all on the up-and-up. don't listen to all the horror stories. just make sure you get a GOOD doctor who does nothing but back surgeries, and is respected by his colleagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corronz View Post
Reassuring that you are doing so well, I am supposed to have a posterior fusion of L4-5 in a few weeks time and I'm very worried about it all. It is fantastic to find a positive thread as most are terrifying!

I would really appreciate any advice about what to expect post op. Does one sit or lie? On the back or side? How long should there be someone else around to make the coffee?

I am also booked to travel to the UK via the States. I live in New Zealand, so that is 2 12 hour flights and all the hassle that is involved with travel. Is it feasible to do 3 months post op?

I am eager to hear anything positive that anyone has to offer.

Many thanks

Caroline

caroline -

i expect the doc will tell you to do whatever is comfortable for you, so long as you do NOT bend over or twist. or lift anything over 10 pounds.

after both of my surgeries, i slept on a futon up in couch mode. it was firm, so my back didn't sag, and in couch mode, i wouldn't be able to roll over off my back.

as for how long you'll need someone to .... umm... wipe your butt, as it were, that might depend.... in my case, i had surgery on a tuesday, and went home on the following friday. i used my walked that nite, and part of saturday before i decided i could get around just fine without having to struggle with the walker. i was still shuffling around like a drunken 75 year old, but i was getting around.

i hope that helps.

as for the plane ride.... man, only if you got to. if you're like me, you SHOULD be fine, but i'd be worried about going anyplace where i couldn't get to my doc before i was certifiably healed.

good luck!
batfish55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-17-2009), Corronz (04-20-2009), tamiloo (05-28-2010)