View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dental Work and RSD

I had a horrible dentist appointment yesterday. I had one of my bottom teeth capped a few years ago and then root canaled. I had been having this horrible taste in my mouth on that side, and yesterday they found that the tooth is totally decaying under the cap, which is forcing the cap loose. The only thing holding the tooth together is the cap, and that could come off at any time. The tooth needs to come out. I am fearful of this on two levels. One...RSD. I developed this after foot surgery in August 07, and after MANY treatments, meds, PT, etc., I have FINALLY broke free from the grips of it (I only have very mild issues which are not even worth complaining about at this point, and I'm sure they will resolve over time, as the rest of it has--hopefully). So my body does not do well with surgery. Two... about a year ago the doctor had me on oral Fosomax and then Boniva for osteopenia, which I was only on for probably 3-4 months at the most when I decided to take myself off because I didn't like the risks of osteonecrosis of the jaw, and being that I'm only 38, the risk of needing dental work at some point is high. But I hear these can stay in your system for 10 years. I also find it curious that the tooth decayed so quickly. Last time they x-rayed it--I think in Oct.--it was FINE. Now it's a mess. Is this a side effect of meds (or nerve blocks, etc.)? Are there other options for having the tooth removed? I suppose not, I can't leave a rotting tooth in there. I will definately plan to let the oral surgeon know about this, and I've found the best one I can. But are there preventative measures that can be taken to prevent problems after oral surgery? UGHH! Not happy.
Millerprof is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote