View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default seven year old difficult to medicate

My seven year old has had a difficult time with medications. He has neuro issues since the age of 1 after strep. He has been diagnosed with PANDAS, Tics and tourettes and obsessive thoughts, ADHD and anger issues. For the past year he has been on Abilify. Every few months it would seem to stop working. The psychiatrist has upped it from 2.5 to 5 to 10 to now 15mg. Also we tried to add ADHD meds Concerta, Adderall XR, all made him worse with sleep and tics and emotions. Then we tried Strattera and it made him get loose bowels. His bottom has gotten irritated. We have now stopped it and have given up on ADHD meds for now. Now we are going to add Celexa for the OCD and anxiety next week. We are seeing a child neurologist and child psychiatrist and psychologist. What do you think of these med combos Abilify and celexa? I am getting tired of all this trial and error on meds. It is frustrating and expensive changing meds and causes such mood troubles. Any suggestions? I have an appointment next month with a psychiatrist who specializes in tourettes and OCD. He may have a bit more info then the current one. Plus an appointment with a new neuro next in two weeks who works alot with aspergers and tourettes OCD which may be what he has. Help I am so overwhelmed here. He is so young to be so medicated. His dad seems to have some anxiety and social issues and anger and takes Prozac. Neuro issues run in his dad's family too. I have polyarthritis which may also have contributed to this autoimmune thing with strep throat.
msnyder is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote