View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default med help TS OCD ADHD

His ped neurologist wanted to stop the Abilify since he was still having temper issues on 10 mg of it and try Risperdal. The child psychiatrist said we should just keep going higher on the dose of Abilify to 15 mg. The neurologist thought 10 mg was enough in his opinion. The psychiatrist said she thought he had sent me to her for the medicine and said choose me or him to write it not both as this is dangerous. What do I do now? Stop the Abilify? Up the Abilify to 15? Add the Celexa or just try changing to Risperdal and see if the obsessions improve along with the moods? So confusing? This past year has been a nightmare. I can't believe I am having to give my little guy such powerful drugs. I just want him to be happy and able to get along in society without meltdowns and obsessive anxiety. What do you suggest? I am lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Abilify is a very strange drug IMO...

from

What this means is that it works on many receptor systems in the brain. Stimulants work on the dopamine system mostly.
Celexa and other SSRI types mostly on serotonin reuptake.
Adding an SSRI will augment Abilify, in this regard.

What happens in the brain with time with drugs that affect neurotransmission is that tolerance occurs. These drugs are pretty novel, but we do know with opiates new receptors are formed in the brain, and then that requires higher doses to fill those receptors. The thought is that this occurs with other systems and if so then tolerance is a serious issue for long term treatments. Discontinuing therefore requires serious slow tapers as well.

The bottom line? No one really knows for sure. Much of psychiatric drug use is trial and error. That is tough on small children and their parents.
msnyder is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote