Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
One more question. We have a lovely view of the nearby mountains from our back patio, except there is a construction company that parks their unattractive vehicles a few hundred yards away.

We need something that will grow 10-15 feet high along a stretch of about 50 feet of fence. That way we won't have to look at the road graders, but we can still see the mountains. The fence isn't particularly sturdy, but it does keep the neighbor's horses from getting into the yard.

Thanks for any suggestions.
You could try sweet peas (there are perennial types). I'm starting some from seed this spring in fact.

Also Morning glorys are easy from seed. And there are the
old standby Hollyhocks.

Most really tall flowering plants you would probably have to do from seed. Clematis is tricky I think.

But there are ivy's, and other vines like that. Those would be available in stores. If this is in full sun? Try some green beans!

You could do bushes in front of the fence... upright cedars are pretty elegant (but they would cost more money in the beginning.)

What are your watering potentials there? Can you reach with a hose? If you cannot water, you'd have to have something that likes dry conditions. I'd consider light and water first, then move on to the other choices based on those.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (04-20-2009)