View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi. Thanks to you and to Mrs. D.

I know that Lantus is different than the Fast Acting insulin. Thankfully, I never had to go on that type of insulin.

I know I'll never get perfection, but I sure can strive for as close to it as I can get. I believe my body is healing. I'm just not sure what it's doing.

I mean, 21 years ago, I was on all kinds of oral meds and my sugar was 265 and I weighed 300 lbs and was miserable. But I was only 40 years old.

So fast forward me to my age now, and making major changes in my eating habits and doing my walks as best I can, and I just want to not get any more complications from diabetes. My neuropathy is pretty much in check with my taking my Methyl b-12 so that's okay by me.

Want to know what confuses me? What exactly is going on in my body? Is the 12 units of Lantus doing what my pancreas is supposed to be doing? Or is my body reacting to the Lantus and that's why I'm getting nice readings.

I never quite understood the whole concept of diabetes. I always thought it was high blood sugar. Then one doctor explained "No, it's unstable blood sugar, it goes up and comes down". I rarely had the "down". Always, for most of 21 years, it ranged in the over 200 range. I never took it seriously. Don't know why. In denial I guess.

Then it was explained how the various meds work, and some meds do this, and other meds do that. Then one person explained that some diabetic meds work by making your body respond differently to the insulin you are taking.

I really do get confused by all these explanations.

I just wish someone would say "Melody, you now take 12 units of Lantus, and some day you might take 10, and here's what is happening to your body. Your pancreas is doing (fill in the blanks), and your body is reacting in this way...(fill in the blanks). Oh I wish I went to nursing school like my mother did when she was 56. She became a Practical Nurse at the age of 57.

The fact that I went from 46 units of Lantus and 2000 metformin a day.. and now I take 12 of Lantus.,,,does this mean my body is undergoing some kind of healing process?? Wouldn't that be cool??? lol

The doc at Cornell said she knew a woman who was cured of diabetes, and that she no longer takes anything. The woman told the doctor "there is no cure for diabetes, I am just controlling it by diet". and the doctor said to me "Know what I told her??" I told her she has been controlled for so long without any meds, that I considered her diabetes no longer an issue so that's why I called her cured"

I said: "wow".

And on another note, several years ago, a nurse told me (this was WAY before I was diagnosed with neuropathy", and she knew Alan had neuropathy, and she was his old primary care physician's nurse. She said "Melody, you do know that neuropathy is irreversible, there is no cure, you can't stop it, and it will progress".

I said to her "you don't know that, there are always new findings, blah blah"

This conversation was over 7 years ago. She was adamant.

She said "Once you get neuropathy, there's nothing you can do, it is what it is".

I'd like to get my hands on that woman now. If she keeps telling people that, no one will get any help. She thinks she knows everything.

She doesn't.

Melody
P.S. Tonight I'm not eating after my shot. It's a 24 hour insulin. There should be no need to eat a meal. (at least we shall find out, lol)

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote