Thread: Could I
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't have epilepsy so I don't know first hand what it is, but I am familiar with the illness. But, the name of the illness is not as important as the symptoms. Some people with epilepsy do go to work every day. If your condition is mild, you may be able to work and you will not be found disabled for SSI or SSDI. If your condition is severe and you are found disabled, you cannot get SSDI if you have not paid into the Social Security system for enough years. Doesn't matter how severe your condition is. If your condition is severe and you are found disabled, you might be able to get SSI (a welfare disability program) if you and your husband's income and assets are under a certain dollar amount. If your husband or you have too much in other income or countable resources, you can't get SSI under any circumstances. Wouldn't matter how severe your illness is.

Not being able to drive, for whatever reason, does not equate to being too disabled to work. You could take a bus to work, or walk or get a ride from someone. Might be more difficult to get hired, but in many big cities, a car is actually a hindrance to getting to the job. You would need other severe symptoms and unresponsiveness to medication. Go to socialsecurity.gov and look at the Blue Book about neurological disorders. Not being able to drive is one symptom and one limitation. Not enough in and of itself for a finding of disability.

I have been trying to answer the questions you raised, but you should never rely on strangers on the Internet. Good luck on your training and job search. Working as much as you can for as long as you can will help you in many ways, not just paying today's bills. You will earn credits with Social Security so that you do have a possible source of income when you really can't work at all any more.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote