Thread: Movies: Australia.... the movie
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I finally got to see the movie.

I wish I'd seen it on the big screen at the cinemas but that wasn't to be, so I borrowed it from a neighbour and actually watched it twice. I need to watch it a few more times. There were all these little clues and gems of photography and costume and colour that I want to check out again and again.

Baz Luhrmann is a genius.

There was so much bad press here about Nicole Kidman but I didn't have too much problem with her role at all. I thought she did a fine job considering the role and the fact it was set in 1938.

I found it strange to watch in some ways... some of it had a certain ethereal or other-world feeling about it. Many of the scenes looking out to the harbour and the actual homestead were brilliantly done. I loved the use of colour in backgrounds and costume.

Sitting here watching it in 2009, I found myself cringing at some of the language. Language that isn't used in this day and age thankfully, but I understood the need for it to be included as it was a major part of the whole plot. I see a sequel coming on. Apparently Baz Luhrmann made several endings and he made a last minute choice to end it the way it was released.

I did wonder how the actual 'message' would translate in other parts of the world.

I could write more and more, but it might become boring to others. LOL
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote