View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairemc View Post
Hi, I'm 25yr old TN sufferer. I was diagnosed in Nov 2008, although I have suffered for over 8yrs prior to diagnosis- having many root canals and teeth removed before they realised what my pain was!!! I have been put on Gabapentin 300mg three times a day and can add in tegretol 200mg 3 times a day when it gets bad. I had an MRI scan in Feb and they said I had some blood vessels quite close to my nerve, but they weren't seen to be pressing on it. I don't want to be on my meds for the rest of my life and wondered if anyone else had a similar diagnosis to mine and has had surgery. I just want to be pain free and drug free as my medicines are already losing their effectiveness to control my twinges etc. Thanks, Claire
Hi CC.

I'm now 42 and suffered with TN since 2002. Over the years as the pain progressively worsened, I tried everything. I tried diets, herbal remedies, acupressure, acupuncture, chiropractics, and then on to the meds, Tegretol and ramped up all the way to 1600mg per day. Once the meds quick working I had reltively few choices as I wanted a permanent fix.

On September of 2008, I had a gamma knife procedure performed. Unfortunately, it only gave me about 60 pain-free days after the it took affect. I recently (4/3/09) had the final procedure done; MVD surgery. Yes, it was scary. Yes, it was painful for a few days. I woke up from surgery having NO pain strikes at all and haven't had any since. It feels quite miraculous!

I was like you in not wanting to spend the rest of my life on drugs. Tegretol is extremely hard on your liver not to mention fatique, muscle soreness, bad short-term memory and so on. I know there are several other options other than the MVD surgery like the 'balloon compression' etc. If my surgeon had read my MRI back in '06, I would have opted for the MVD back then and saved myself thousands of dollars on other temporary treatments and tons of suffering.

My advice is to get a 'kickass' neuro surgeon (like mine) to read your MRI; not your primary doc or even a nuerologist. Only have a seasoned neuro surgeon read your MRI. They will help determine whether you are wasting time and money on useless remedies. I know this from my own experience and will gladly give you doctor's information if you would like.

Best of luck and I hope your pain is manageable.
Todd
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Clairemc (04-20-2009)