Thread: new member
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvycarly View Post
hi creekman,
i was first on the carbamazepine but it was really bad with the side effects and im now on gabapentin and thnakfully im not having no side effects from it at all but it isnt working as well as the carbamazepine did, so i take a couple of co-codamol if the pain gets too much. im back at the doctors this thursday and he's going to refer me to see a neurologist to see what they say.im just glad that ive got people to talk to whose in the same boat as noone i know understands what its like.i keep getting the sharp pain in my temple quit alot at the moment its awful.

carly
CC,
You are not alone. Everyone's response to drugs is different. Don't get too worried as you will find a drug that works for you. Once you get ramped up/down to a good balance, your body will get used to any 'minor' side effects. Definitely see a neurologist who is an 'expert' in TN treatment. I'd also recommend getting an MRI done and have the neurologist or a neurosurgeon read the MRI. They will be able to diagnose anything banging into the Trigeminal nerve. Even the most aggressive treatment (MVD) isn't as bas as the pain. Believe I know. I've had TN for 7 years and have done all possible treatments including gamma knife. On 4/3/09 I had the MVD surgery. Best decision of my life! Pain free upon waking up from surgery (at least from TN). Two weeks later I feel wonderful with no pain at all.

Best of luck. Again, you are not alone.
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote