Thread: new member
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvycarly View Post
thedspeth,
thanks for your post, ive been recently thinking more about surgery. i know ive only just been diagnosed with it but i think id rather have the surgery and be pain free than be on medication for the rest of my life.im only 22 and i dont want this to take my life away, ive also got a 2 year old so i need to be alert and clear headed for her!
id appreciate any thoughts on whether or not i should have the surgery done sooner rather than later, as im still weighting my options up at the moment.
when i saw my doc first he did mention doing a mri but he didnt say anything about it last time so i dont know whats happening about it now.
im just a little bit nervous about the surgery cause from what ive read up on it theres apparently a percentage that it could leave that side of the face paralized? have you heard of that aswell?
thanks, carly
Carly,

I have heard of people who've had the MVD surgery and had some facial paralysis. I've never heard of anyone who's entire left or right side drooped or that severe. I had some numbness on my left cheek, but the feeling has since returned. I still have an area (2" x 2") behind my left ear at the top of the lobe that is still numb. It's only been 15 days since my surgery so I'm not really worried aabout it. I'd rather have numbness and some facial paralysis than the amount of extreme pain I was suffering the last 2 years. I would have done my MVD surgery sooner if I'd had my neuorsurgeon read my MRI back in 2006. I could have saved myself a lot of suffering, time, money, etc. If your pain level was anywhere near what mine was (10 on pain scale for days at a time even while on 1600mg of tegretol/day), then you won't worry about a small chance of some facial numbness.

Seek out an 'expert' neurologist and/or neurosurgeon who has lots of experience. Check them out. It's worth your time. We are all pulling for you in here regardless of your treatment decision. Stay strong and keep the faith. There is a treatment out there for you.
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote