View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisi View Post
I am trying to use Lidocaine (Lidoderm) patches for my arch pain. Its not plantar faciitis or a heel spur according the x-rays and MRIs. I am getting a neuropathy test in a couple of weeks but I am trying to address the pain now on my own as the podiatric solutions have not worked.

The patches are leftover from a back injury i had a couple of years ago. I put them on the bottom of my feet but they only seemed to lessen the pain slightly.

I am intrigued by your recommendations to put the patches on top of the feet or on the ankle. I was wondering if you had a diagram or photo of exactly what you do?

Also, do you know where I can find more information on using lidocaine patches for foot pain? I also plan on asking my PCP for lidocaine creaam b/c the patches seem to move around too much.

THanks for the help!!!!
I'll have to find some pics of the anatomy on the net, put them into my graphics and colorize them. This will take some time.
I'll make a new thread. (it is not an easy task).

In the meantime--- this link shows a side view of the tarsal ligament:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...num=3&ct=image

The placement of the patch for the ankle area is just at the pointer of the the yellow arrow. I have used just above the bone, and just below the bone placement successfully. The nerves from the feet bundle there to go up
the leg. When that ligament is tight, from hypothyroidism deposits, or from fluid retention, or scars from injuries, it compesses the nerves going to the foot. If a doctor injects lidocaine here at this point, it will numb the whole foot. That is why the patches work here the same way, only they are not strong enough to totally numb the foot. I had a lidocaine+ steroid shot in my left ankle once...it lasted almost a day, and I couldn't even walk right! Talk about NUMB. (this was inflammation from a nasty spider bite).

My son had the pronation that is also in that article. When we had orthotics made for him, all his pain went away.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote