View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 02:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Rita and Reed,
I'm glad you checked in with us. I remember you and Reed from your posts. Always enjoyed reading them. There are so many emotions and life changing events with RSD. Not just with us, but many people, don't feel comfortable being around someone in pain, or something they don't understand. That's their issues.

I've been seeing a wonderful psychiatrist, Neurologist, and Pharmacologist 3in1 for about 5 years now. Knowledge about RSD, and he has been wonderful. My husband and daughter have been once. Our daughter 29, understands a lot. She and my husband have both done research, plus she is a court reporter and done depositions on RSD for prerial. I had been in coundseling once before when I was 30-my parents died, mother was 46-cancer and I cared for her and we sued the incompetent Dr. Won 100% Cared for my Dad, he was hearbroken and died too.
If you look at RSD as a major loss and completely changing your life, feelings, abilities, moods, memory problems, because it affects the limbic part of the brain,depression. Especially a man, has lost control of his life, ability to provide, All of us miss all the things we loved to do with our families. We used to travel, play tennis, water ski, snow ski, bike, hike you name it. I tend to hole up in my office. It has a day bed, tv, music, desk, laptop, printer, . I just like to be alone, then I don't have any pressure on me. I had appointments, because, you never know how you are going to feel. Never morning appointments, can't sleep half the night. The lack of sleep really affects how we feel the next day. Being on the right meds are so important.
One thing that helped me while going through major grief with my parents and in counseling was keeping a journal. I still journal some days. I can totally put down my feelings, cry, without anyone seeing what's writtin, my guilt, emotional pain, and then put it in the shredder if I want.
Most hospitals offer grief seminars. You can call the education department and get a schedule. That really helped me. Also in the self-help section of book store have books to help us look at life differently-grateful, positive, joy of helping others. reading motivational books of ones that have overcome negative emotions. One book I loved was You can't afford the thought of a negative feeling. It was so good for me. I love flowers in my room, lavender candles, music, massages, nice ones now, not like the torture chambers I went thru at the beginning,strapped down. Have you been desensitized? That is truly a blessing to get past that. Love to write cards-e-mail all friends. We moved from Oregon to Arizona so our daughter could go to this specialized school. We just stayed here and love it. We have friends come and visit every year. They know my limitations, and do all the cooking, and I help clean up. I sleep in, and they go on walks, It's so wonderful, we had two couples last month and one couple next month. We turned down 3 couples, We just weren't that close, and it would have been a hardship on me. In fact the couple coming next month, she is a counselor and he a neuclear med tech. Both couple come every year.
It sounds like you needed to get rid of first WC attorney. Hope you like the next one. I certainly would want the medical portion open-ended. so expensie disorder, meds and treatment.
It was eight years into RSD when I found my current Dr. One thing that really helped me was an anti-anxiety med Lorazepam mg 3xday, Cymbalta is one of the newer anti-depressants I started on a year ago. Worked up to 240 mg. a day. It works very well on nerve pain and fibromyalgia. I was able to go of two double dosed other antii-depressants. I take a sleeping pill, two blook pressure bills double dosed, and Vicodin 2@3xday. I was onNeurotin and thenLyrica, but wanted to go off and have been off now for 6 months. Have lost 30 lbs. xtra weigh it put onme. That was depressing, as I was such into sports. After another 30 lbs. Dr. and I hope I can cup back on blood pressure meds. I've been using natural supplements etc. My Dr. also teaches, and just part time with pain management and psych. It's really a long process, with set backs. Did you see Larry King Live with Michael J Fox with his MS. He has just written a book. Always looking Up, I'm going to get it. He was down for a long time after his diagnosis.

Do you have a pain management Dr.? They seem to be the best ones to management RSD complexities. I attended the annual national RSDSA convention here in Scottsdale about 3 weeks ago. Friday was for us, we had 135 a Sat. was for Drs. pt's etc. It was excellent. They videotaped it and will be for sale soon thru RSDSA. They fully supported a structured med program. Ther were about 4-5 Drs. and Scientist.
You are welcome to PM me anytime. If there is anything I can say that would help, I'm more than willing. I have my ups and downs. Been going thru a flare last few days, but today is better. I've got to get my laptop fixed, as I do better laying in bed writing than sitting in a chair typing. Hang in there, and please know we all care about you here on Neurotalk, Loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (04-20-2009), Rita (04-20-2009)