Thread: very weak today
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Becky - you are soooo right!

What great advice! It is so true! After every family thing, I find myself being really, really tired!

My grandparents (and most of my family) still do not get that fact......they told me they needed "younger" friends after my 5 hr drive - which I drove - to their house - and then to the outlet mall, etc.......

But now I figure to heck with it and just go to my room or a quiet place and just RELAX! If anyone has a problem with it, they can eihter go home or I will go home - I'm not going to jeapordize my health to keep other people happy anymore - that's how I ended up in the ICU!!!!!!

Hope you are having a great day!
Erin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1256 View Post
Barbara,
Consider this a lesson in management. It's wonderful to be able to attend important events, but you will have to learn to manage it better to reduce the after affects - and yes, this happens same day, next day, two days later. I look at it as cummulative affects - you had just enough muscle juice (as Annie calls it) to get through this. The excitement of the even also probably got some adrenalin going and that helps get through. But the next day, the adrenalin is gone and one little thing (walking to the kitchen from the bedroom?) is enough to use up the rest of the juice and there you are!

For special events like this, try to get parked as close as possible (can you get a handicap tag for vehicles you ride in?), don't walk around any more than you absolutely have to to see those things your grandson is in and find a place to sit every chance you get, make sure you stay in the shade as much as possible, or wear a floppy hat to shade your head ( I prefer straw cuz it ventilates my head) and if possible get yourself a "cooling vest". These can be purchased online for all kinds of different prices, and have little ice packs that slip into them to keep your core temperature down. I have just put ice water on my neck and chest (and even doused my head in cool water) in the past to keep cool. May not look nice, but whatever it takes! And as Kate said, when you have the opportunity to plan ahead, plan on a restful day before (store up more juice), and after (replenish the juice).

I have found I need this strategy for visits from out of town guests, family gatherings, etc, although I have been know to disappear for a nap during gatherings. The day after ALWAYS gets me, just not as badly when take the precautions.

Hope you feel better soon! It's the pits having to pay for what should be a joyous outing! I'm sorry it affected you.

P.S. I'm not overweight, but am heavier than I ever was before. I have (normally) a very high metabolism so I was always a little on the underweight side to start with.