View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Just Back from 1st Neuro Appt.......

Well here it goes.......
I had written all the meds I take, bp meds, lipitor , allergy meds, and nexium, I had all my questions ready...
Well first he asked me what is going on., I explained all about from august 08 and on, with the opthamologist etc.,e tc., he looked at my blood work, said definately mg., but he felt after a short exam of my eyes, reflexes, and some push against his hand test that it was mainly ocular at this point., but then like he said with the different muscle pains, it could be mg., but then it could be other things., he said to make sure and not to dwell on mg as I will be thinking that everything that happens is from mg., and then I will be more stressed and stress is the worst thing. He said the lipitor I am on probably isn't the best to take for a disease that could make muscles week., but then, I have to keep my cholestral under control to live. He explained about the myasthenia crisis and advised when I get short of breath from really no exertion it is time to call him and go to the ER. Hopefully this won't happen he says but that is the worst scenerio. He is sending me for a CAT scan of my T......gland ( forget the name is it Thymus?) but anyhow you know what I mean, he wants to make sure there are no tumor's on that gland. He advised the best thing to do is adjust to the disease, live your life accordingly, use common sense ., if you are tired, rest, if your eyes are bad close them for a while., he started me on Mestonin 3 x a day ( don't know the dosage as I dropped it off at the pharmacy and they have to order it for me , I can pick it up tomorrow afternoon., and then get the test done on monday for the CAT scan and then see him again on Wednesday. It seems he feels it is mainly affecting the ocular muscles for now , but he says who Know ? it is so hard to tell., he was very honest., he says keep tract of how I feel but because I have a few bad days., try to realize there will be good days too.........the biggest thing is not to dwell on it and think every little thing is MG., but to use common sense. He kind of has a flat personality, but he did answer my questions., and it seems like he definately felt that the blood work confirmed mg., but felt any further testing at this time wasn't necessary nor was it a guarantee it would show anything., but lets take it a day at a time, take the medicine, he said it was a small dose at first and see how it works., and then take it from there. So that was that., ..
So I don't know ., For now he seems to be doing what any other neuro would , give me mestonin ( spelling)....don't know if I really liked him or not., seemed to know about the disease , he has other patients., with MG., and he is on call all the time., so..........who knows., I guess I will see what happens with the CAT scan on Monday and then I will see him Wednesday.
whirlwind123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote