View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm glad your appointment went okay but I can see why you have lots of questions. I have some too.

First of all, so many problems are caused for MG patients by not having ALL the appropriate testing right away, including the EMG's. Why? Because other neurologists may later question the diagnosis. Most of them see the EMG's as the "gold standard" for diagnosing MG. And the drugs people with MG take, make the antibodies disappear and the EMG's normal. So if you go to a new doctor and he sees that you only had the antibodies done, he will probably want to do a SFEMG. At that point, you'll be on who knows what drugs, have to withdraw from them for the EMG to be accurate which can make you feel really horrid and is potentially dangerous and the test may or may not be positive. So I'm an advocate for having ALL the MG tests done right away. If your antibodies are that high, chances are that your EMG will be positive, no matter what your neuro "sees" clinically.

Lipitor is a horrid drug for people with MG. It can make MG much worse. How high was your cholesterol? Was it minimally high like in the low 200's or way high like in the 400's or higher? The 200's can be adjusted with diet, etc. Get that evaluated by a primary doctor!!!

Your neuro sounds pretty good. I can put up with bland personalities if I know I have a very good doctor. As long as he is giving you the information you need and answering your questions.

You should know, in case you don't, that there is Mestinon syrup too not just the tablets. I take the syrup due to not having stomach acid (it digests better). The syrup goes to work faster too. There is the issue of carrying liquid around with you but I don't have a problem with it. And you can titrate the liquid in smaller increments than you can with the tablets, which I like. Just an FYI.

I'm glad you have an answer to what you've been suffering with. That's half the battle. I think a discussion about treatment options would be good for your next appt. Don't automatically think you have to have Prednisone. Doctors have these "algorithms" for what they give patients and in what order. Not every patient is the same so only go by what you want for yourself!

Good luck Wed.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote