Thread: Vp shunt= sad
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default RE;

WOW!!! Thats some CRAZY stuff! Yeah having the stomach pain is HORRIBLE and whats also worst about it , is it will go away then like months later it will come back again...but I hear ya- about the BM thing and ALL that. I went to my OBGYN as well and she said it was just dangiling all about too... I do NOT understand why NSG ALL seem to say this but according to ALL these people who have the shunt ALL have the same problems-go figure All I do now is watch what I lift and so far so good Hope all is well Have a great day! & good luck to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrose View Post
I was shocked when I found this website, and all of the people who prove I am not crazy!! I was diagnosed with PseudoTumor Cerebri, and had an LP Shunt placed July 2008. My nsg was all like "We put it in, and you will be all better for at least 5 years." HAH!! First off, 2 weeks post op I noticed swelling around the abdominal incision. I called nsg, went in, and he checks and says "I don't feel a thing". Next day, it felt like I had a basketball in my stomach. Went back to nsg, and he says "I might feel a little something, but nothing major". He took out every other staple, and it was on!! It was oozing a lot. He said "CSF, Hmmmmm. It will ease up." Went back the next day, because it was really painful and still swollen, and leaking to beat the band. That was the first revision. The nurse in the OR said that it had showered the nsg and the room . There was 2 liters of CSF, at least. 4 days later, I was changing the dressing, and when I removed it, CSF shot from my abdominal incision straight out about 12 inches . Revision # 2. After that, I had the most severe abdominal/perirectal pain. It would double me over, and I found if I laid on my right side it got better. Nsg had no idea why. Never heard of it before. I was calling out sick a lot. Finally, my OB Dr did a Pelviscopy. She said the shunt was laying on a nerve. She moved it a little, called the nsg to come have a look, and finished my surgery. The pain occurred less often. Mainly if I had to have a BM, then it would ease up. It has slowly but surely eased out of my life. But, by then I had Xrays, CT Scans, Colonoscopy, and a multitude of tests. It is frustrating when you KNOW something isn't right, and you walk away more often than not feeling like an idiot. Good luck.
glittergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote