View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's been awhile since I've posted on something I don't know anything about, but I thought I'd write what popped in my head and let you take it (and investigate further) or leave it.

So, Tom was on Depakene for awhile (he has epilepsy) and we were told by our neuro that it depletes zinc. Our DAN! doctor told us that it also depletes carnitine in addition to zinc, which can lead to low muscle tone and tiredness. I have no idea what else can cause low muscle tone, or if carnitine supplementation will "solve" your problems, but it did pop in my head.

Has Bean been evaluated for OT? Or does she not qualify? Our OT has us doing some things which strike me as more PT-type, but also help with the OT. I was doing "wheel-barrows" with Tom on a regular basis (need to start up again) up and down the hall once a day - arm strengthening. She also likes him to climb on the playground (ladders) - hand strengthening. Hanging from bars. And, we throw and catch balls (Tom is lousy at that.) Maybe find out what they're working on in PE and practice at home where she can "fail" in private? Plus, maybe you can go a little easier on her so that she has more successes than she might get in class. (Tom is getting better at catching, because *I'm* getting better at throwing the ball in the right place. But, he's excited because he *is* catching it, even if I'm doing most of the work.)

I guess that's it for my ramblings today...
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote