View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Question About IgA

Annie, I had a similar thing happen to me at the Mayo. I had asked for a week to be tested for mg. The morning of my last day there, the doctor who had been managing my case acted very strangely. He had a hard time looking me in the face, he became very cold and couldn't get rid of me fast enough. He told me that I needed to see the neuro that afternoon before I left which really surprised me because the neuro had totally blown me off earlier. I asked the managing doc if any of the tests had come back abnormal and he said, "no not at all"." He was so odd (and he would stare horrified at my drooping eye - the first time it showed to him - and then quickly look away) that I knew something was up. The neuro told me about the positive antibody tests at the end of the meeting in a very round about way, completely minimizing it. In fact, I feel like it slipped out - "oh, your managing doctor didn't mention that?" Call me completely paranoid, but I don't think I would have been told at all if Mayo didn't have a policy of sending out all the records to the patients. I think the way it played out colored their entire view of what was wrong with me. The neuro kept staring, horrified, at my eye too.

I wanted to ask you what you knew about low IgA. I've been having my son tested for a lot of things because he has many symptoms similar to mine (antibodies for mg came back neg though). Since he had a low ferritin level and restless legs I asked the doctor to test for celiac. I just got the results today and it came back negative but with a low total IgA, which I understand (thanks to google) means a much bigger possibility of false negatives on the celiac test. But could the low IgA mean anything else? Could it give me any clue as to why he is so sick (horrible, zombie like fatigue, difficulty breathing (low PEF), double vision)?

Thank you!!!!
bluesky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote