View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Friend2U, I looked up in some of my herb books for a sage idea but I wasn't able to find anything. I know you don't like the tomato sauce on top but I've posted my meatloaf glaze below.

When I make the actual meatloaf I just use the mince, some onion (but I always pre-cook the onion before I put it in the mixture. (not browned, just transparent). Sea salt, ground pepper and some chopped parsley. Could use sage instead.

I use grated carrots, garlic and an egg yolk but really I could put anything in it.

I use evaporated milk in mine too but what I do is use a small amount of broken up bread as crumbs and soak the bread in the evaporated milk before I mix it into the meat and vegetables mix. It's not necessary to use the bread but I like it myself. It all gets integrated in the meat mix, so you can't tell there's bread in there. It just seems to help bind it all together and hold during the cooking process.

So then I mix up the mixture and put it in a loaf cake tin. Then I have the oven heated already and turn the loaf tin upside down on a baking tray (I usually use some baking paper because the caramelization (that's not an actual word LOL ! ) process at the end of cooking tends to stick all over the baking tray) and leave the cake tin on top.

Towards the end, when it's getting almost cooked, I take the cake tin off and mix up ketchup with dry mustard and some brown sugar and a tiny dash of worchestershire sauce and spread that all over the top and the sides and then I put it back in the oven. The sugar seems to caramalize it very nicely.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (04-22-2009)