View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Feeling not so alone... :)

Hey everyone -
Just stumbled across this site during my monthly "Let's look up online if they've discovered anything new about MMN" search.

I'm currently 29 years old but started experiencing weakness in my hands when I was 26. Over the course of that first year of symptoms, I got to the point where I suffered from complete wrist drop in both hands. Being a 4th grade teacher, this was tough for me. I dropped pencils and markers in front of my kids, couldn't type or write on the board without holding one of my wrists up, and I dreaded having to shake parents' hands due to the embarrassment of my condition. My lifelong hobbies of playing piano and volleyball were stripped from me - and took normal happy-go-lucky personality with it. It was the toughest year of my life.

After trying to fix my 'strength problems' with physical therapy, I was told I needed surgery to remove discs from my spine that were believed to be putting pressure on my spine, resulting in my weakness. Two removed discs, a titanium plate, and six screws later to do the fusing of my new cadaver discs, my surgery was over and my strength continued to deteriorate. All that, .....for nothing.

Believe it or not, it was my MOM (in an attempt to try to help her sad, scared daughter) who happened to find Multifocal Motor Neuropathy online. I asked my doctor about it, and after several tests, he agreed it was what I had. I've been seeing a new neurologist and he too diagnosed me with MMN.

I've been getting IVig for the past year and it has worked wonders. Unfortunately for me, I have to go once a week to get treatments. I receive my treatments in Ambulatory at our local hospital, and my insurance covers 100%. I feel truly blessed.

I had a check up appt. with my neurologist today who told me about Rituximab. He said it was a newer IVig medicine that was still being researched. He said it may be something I want to consider down the road, after it's been researched more, seeing as how I will probably need treatments for the rest of my life. Those of you who are on Rituximab - do you experience any side effects? Can you truly last 10 weeks before you need another treatment of it?

I find additional strength from amazing friends and family and sites like this that make me realize I'm not the only one who suffers from this. I am also thankful there IS a treatment, despite the fact that I have to go every week to get it.

The more we talk about this, the more attention it will get, and hopefully they'll find a permanent cure! Hang in there, folks. We can do this!!
Teacher999 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (06-08-2009), aneczka (11-12-2014)