View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Winters in MI are harsh and tend to keep me trapped. That's reading, photo management, movie making, etc. time. In springs and falls, I like to attend trials at the courthouse, visit museums, or look in really old library stacks.

I have a developed a relationship with the nursery school up the hill here, I can get there by scooter. They welcome my visits as a diversion and love it when I come by for an hour or so just to goof around with the kids. I arrive when I want to, skip it, or leave when I feel like it, it's ideal for a kid fix.

When my legs and arms are up for a little more action, I go re-stack books at my library branch. I had to do a minor "audition" to show that I understand the shelving system and they love it when I come in even just for a random hour.

Sometimes I do an audit of interesting college classes, it costs a few bucks but there is no credit or obligation to do homework, exams or study. Once a prof knows me as an auditor, they often allow me without registering. So, if I have to miss half the semester for not feeling well, I'm allowed to attend the second half next semester. Just a nice diversion and a little brain food.

When I was better physically, I taught free swimming lessons to needy kids at the Y. It was easy as long as I stayed in the water.

For a short while I tried to volunteer for my local literacy project by teaching adults to read. It irritated me and I stopped.

Parks & rec departments and national parks always look for people to help out on short and long-term projects. It's nice because you can pick and choose which ones you like.

Since you like animals, you could get involved with a school farm, a humane society, a private ranch or kennel, a vet, or any number of training facilities where an extra body is always welcome for misc. assistance.

For a few years, I was "the field trip lady" for a large home school group (I charged them). It was a ton of fun and we toured all kinds of fascinating businesses, factories, hatcheries, farms, distribution centers, etc.

If there is any kind of living history park nearby, they love to have volunteers dressed in character just strolling their grounds.

Start with any of your interests, figure out what operations are available to you, and go insinuate yourself! It's really pretty simple.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chazen18 (04-22-2009), tkrik (04-22-2009)