View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A lot us get frustrated

In my opinion lazy isn't really what is happening. Take a minuet and look at how we feel after a disappointing doctor visit. For me it is frustrating and I get angry and emotional (when I get to the car) Now look at it through the eyes of a doctor. Who went into the medical field to help people. He/She is faced with RSD/CRPS It is so complex there is no cure. They get frustrated because sometimes they can't help. For each of us our treatment plans are different.
IMO a good doctor will tell you he has no knowledge and everything he wants to try will be trial and error (that's the way it was for me before we found what works). If your injury is WC related that makes it more difficult for a doctor add in insurance restrictions and it just componds things.
In my quest to put my medical team together I ran into doctors who I knew weren't able to handle such a complex condition. There were the pain doctors who just wanted to write prescriptions and cover up the problem with meds. I chose not to go this way I want to be a part of life not just watch it pass. Some doctors are too busy to handle a patient that is going to take a lot of time. When my family doctor dx me with RSD. He gave me a never give up speach. A couple months later he was so frustrated that he couldn't get his part of the medications to work with the Pain Doc. med. He came in the room and said we are done I need to find a different doctor. I went home and wrote him a letter and opened with you told me not to quit when you dx me and you can't quit on me. He called me we talked it out and 9 years later he is still on my medical team. Two years into seeing my pain doctor the same thing happened he got frustrated because we were having trouble getting my meds to work together. He got angry and said next time be sure you get a 30 minuet appt. when you come in. He ended up apologizing and 5 years later he is still my doctor. My chiropractor has been with me through this whole 9 year journey. Before I got to where I am today (I control my RSD it doesn't control me) I was in his office and I was miserable and crying. I was his next to the last patient. He was tiered and I was in pain. We got into a discussion about managing my RSD that ended up being an argument. We were both shouting at each other. I knew the staff and other patient could hear us. I was frustrated he was frustrated because he couldn't help more with my pain. We ended up apologizing to each other and did it loud enough so everyone else could hear.

After the first 5 or my 17 different doctors. I started interviewing them to see if they could help. I would ask about their knowledge of RSD/CRPS and I would ask if they wanted to invest the time it was going to take to find a treatment plan that would work. We have to be control of our care. Respect a doctor who says he can't help and ask for a referral.

Finally, my point. As frustrating as it is for us it is just as frustrating for the people who have made it a career to help people. Doctors are human and when they are faced with RSD/CRPS they are intimidated, frustrated, and even emotional. When I came back to OH from a treatment in Philly one of my doctors left the room to cry because the treatment didn't work.
Sorry, for rambling.
God bless you all,
Sherrie
SBOWLING is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote