View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Just a little note about antibiotics... I'll try to keep this one brief.

With my son's diagnosis from age 5 to 10 of Sydenham's Chorea, the Penicillin was prescribed to actually PREVENT further Strep. infections which might damage his heart, so in that case we were prepared to follow the Neurologist's treatment schedule because it was a matter of keeping very serious bouts of Rheumatic Fever at bay. Something that can be deadly.

I was actually mortified at the time, knowing he'd be having to take it till he was 21 years old. I was very glad when they found that his heart was actually in good shape and the diagnosis was changed. By that time he had developed other issues besides the tics/movements. Interestingly his hand writing totally deteriorated... I just saw that mentioned in one of the other sites I posted earlier regarding PANDAS symptoms.

If PANDAS involves an autoimmune reaction, then I still can't understand the use of long term antibiotic treatments or how that can help. I can understand keeping vigilant and making sure there are no untreated Strep. infections, but I can't understand how antibiotics would actually affect the autoimmune reaction itself.

anyway... just more thoughts.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote