View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi JKMMC,

So very sorry to hear that you have been ill and are now suffering with the side effects of your medication. Xerostomia is a very common malady. Unfortunately, most people are not informed of how severely it can affect their teeth.

Teeth need to bathe in constant saliva and when the saliva flow is not there, the teeth can decay very rapidly. There are some products on the market that stimulate the flow of saliva. One that seems to work pretty well is called Spry Rain Dry Mouth. It has to be used frequently to be effective. Even for people who do not have any teeth, they can still use this product to stimulate their saliva flow.

From what you have described and given your ill health, the best course of treatment for you may be to have your remaining teeth removed and be fitted for temporary dentures. It is devastating to think that this is the only option, but if your teeth are badly decayed there really is no healthy reason to hang onto them.

A side note........ not everyone is a good candidate for dental implants. There has to be adequate, healthy bone for the implants to integrate into and the person should be in relatively good health overall. Before you entertain the idea of dental implants, please ask the oral surgeon if you are a good candidate as he should take into consideration your dental and medical health status.

I know this is very difficult, but try not to dwell on what the complications can be. It is so important to positively prepare yourself mentally and physically the best that you can before the day of surgery. This includes preparing a nutritional menu and preparing meals ahead of time that you can freeze and easily heat up during the healing time. I suggest your prepared meals should last at minimum 2 weeks post operatively. Keeping a positive outlook and eating nutritiously will make the world of difference!

I wish you well and please stay in touch with us!

Bryanna ~'.'~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMMC View Post
Hi all,

I am so glad that I found this forum!

I have been ill for the past 3 years, as a result of the medications I have been taking I developed Xerostomia (dry mouth syndrome). Many of my teeth decayed due to this.

2 months ago I had a medical emergency and had to be intubated. During the intubation, 9 of my teeth were broken off-- exposing the insides of the teeth, which I can see are severely decayed.

I have visited an oral surgeon and dentist/anathesiologist, who have told me that I need full mouth teeth extractions and eventually dental implants.

This has obviously devastated me, especially after reading about all of the complications that can occur.

I am just so scared. The surgery should be taking place within the next week or two.

Any advice?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote