Thread: Eye EMG
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Buried no more!

Thanks Annie - make me pull me head out, huh?

Just kiddin. I have handled multiple cervical nerve blocks, and 2 child births with no anethesia, so I'm sure I can handle this without too much trouble.

It CAN'T be as bad as the nerve blocks - once they hit that nerve with the steroid, all the muscles served by that nerve just kind of seize up. I also figure if I could do THAT with no deadening and not even flinch, I can handle anything for a few minutes!

For reals, thanks Annie. It's good info to have, including the aftercare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceH View Post
Would anyone care to explain exactly what happens during an eye EMG? My husband's kinda nervous about having one done. Don't pull punches when explaining it, please.

Edit: LOL, just noticed Becky wants to keep her head in the sand. If someone would prefer to DM me with the details, that's fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Barbara, It is indeed very painful, isn't it?! I'm glad you have an official diagnosis though. The reason they do that area is that it is often the first area to be weak in people with MG. Even if the rest of the body appears clinically "normal" the eye/forehead area will usually be positive.

Alice, Usually it's the Single Fiber EMG they do on the muscles around the eye. They will often test the forehead right above the eye. They can do the eyelid, the area on the side of the eye or underneath. I've had it done in all of those areas. With a SFEMG, they put a much smaller needle in one area. They may move it around slightly after it is put in. That area of the face is simply very sensitive to pain (lots of receptors) and it can really hurt. It's not the kind of pain that is constant. The pain is basically from the poking into the muscle or moving it around. They will then look for a single muscle fiber to test (thus the moving around).

The eyes will likely tear up from a test of the eye/forehead muscles. Mine did. Even though it is painful, it is something most people can tolerate. You can always tell the person doing the test that you need a little break or something. I just wanted it to be over sooner! And it helps to just say "ouch" or whatever, as long as the doctor doing the tests knows you are just vocalizing and not telling them to stop!

There may be some bruising and tenderness of the area afterwards, which is normal. You can put a cool washcloth on the area to reduce any inflammation. Or take a Tylenol before and/or after the test.

I didn't pull one punch! Hurts like the dickens but most everyone can handle it. And it's not dangerous.

Annie