View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Spinal Cord Injuries

Hi,
I thought, I'd make a new thread, cause I'm sure others have had this same thing happen to them. One time years ago when many of us were on Brain Talk, we took an informal survey, and almost all of us had some kind of back injury in our past. It was really something.
I was in a car accident. I was driving a small Nissan Sentra, and a person driving in a SUV smashed into be backside. I was stopped, waiting for a car infront of me to make a left hand turn, and the SUV, never seen either of us, and at 55 miles per hour he blasted me.
I crushed L5,S1, and had a couple back surgery, ending in a spinal fusion. It left me with nerve damage. I have bi-lateral nerve pain all the time. It isn't too bad, but when it gets aggravated, and inflamed, it's very painful. It starts from my hips, all the way down to my feet.
And from then on, I've had problems. And infact, is the reason why I waited so long to say something. I just thought that my nerve damage was getting worse.
The more I'd do in rehab, the weaker I'd get. I was in water therapy, and it just felt like I was getting worse, instead of better.
But then, I'd go to pick up a coffee cup, and spill my coffee, it felt like I was lifting led. When I went to swallow, it was like my body forgot how to do it. And it was the not swallowing that finally made me speak up, and get further checked out.
A tramatic trauma to the body, can bring out MG, and I do believe this helped it come out, along with a staff infection I had after a surgery.
It is amazing how things can change us forever.
I wish is wasn't so.
Love Lizzie
Maxwell'sMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote