View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for starting the thread, Lizzie.

I THINK my MG may have ties to a severe illness I had when I was 18. It itself was'nt MG but I have a hard time believing that somehow that didn't have something to do with my problems now. Most significant reason is that my blood count was all screwed up. 3 x the white cells and almost no red cells being made.

They never dx'd me then, but let me out of my 16 day hospital stay with the dx "fever of unexplained origin". I was mostly fine once I got recovered from that, but what a flip flop on my metabolism. Prior to that I was such a high energy person that I was accused of being a speed freak (1970's term - told ya'll I'm OLD!), but I didn't do drugs.

Afterward, I still was fairly energetic, but not the same. It was more like nervous energy in bursts.

Then in 1991 I was rammed into while stopped at a light with no where to go by a guy doing about 55 that had fallen asleep (5:30 at night). Unfortunately I sat and watched him coming in my rear view mirror and tensed up. My surgeon said my neck was still like hamburger 2 years after the accident when I had my 1st surgery, and I have since had 2 more on different levels.

Swallowing issues surfaced then, but I was on muscle relaxers, pain meds, Naproxyn so I don't remember a lot and don't know how much else could be attributed to all the sleepy eyes drugs they had me on. By 1995 is was starting to notice a reduction in my stamina & strength. 12/1/96 I went to the floor with no muscle response at all for a few minutes, then minimal. I had my prelim dx of MG early 1997, but I've posted the fun I went through at that time. It was removed and the 2nd surgery to my neck happened. My "for reals" dx didn't happen until my next major bout in 2003.

You do have to wonder about the spinal trauma not just kicking this stuff off, but maybe whacking out the system. For me though I think it was the kick off, with the teen illness being the real beginning.

P.S. - Why do I keep having stuff that can't be diagnosed? The 18 yr old thing, then so much trouble with the MG dx, now (and '97, '03) the secondary issue I have. Shoot - even my white blind spot in my R eye isn't dx'd but has to be watched! I really HATE this stuff!

OK, that was my rant for the day - sorry. I seem to be needing those more and more often the longer this goes again!

Loves to you all! I'm so glad you're all here.