Thread: headaches
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up NON DRUG/SURGERY Sinus treatment

Since I see lot's of sinus infection and allergy problems in this thread, I thought this would be a good place to relay this wonderful information.

I used to get sinus infections at least 2-3 times per year, and suffered from hay fever. I have Myasthenia Gravis, so a sinus infection lands me on the couch for 1-2 weeks. My doctor told me to get a Neti Pot and use it daily, and I haven't had a sinus infection since! Also, my hay fever hasn't bothered me since.

You can buy a Neti Pot at any health food store. The also sell packets of solution to use, but I make my own with sea salt. I have soft, well water that works well with just the salt, but if you have hard water you can use 1/8 t. of soda and 1 t. salt per treatment.

The Neti Pot looks like a little tea pot and you fill it with warm water and the solution, put the spout in one nostrel while bending over the sink. Make sure to breath through your mouth! Let the solution flush through the other nostrel for about 1/2 pot worth, then blow through your nose with both nostrels open. Repeat this on the other side. Then blow into a tissue. I know this sounds gross, but what's worse? Leaving that stuff in you!

After a couple of days, the solution will flush through cleanly and you can go to a maintenance flush if you prefer. I make sure I flush at least 1 x per week, or more if I get stuffy or am around people that are sick.
I've tried the nasal sprays, hot showers, etc. and nothing works like this.

Another benefit, especially to someone like me with an autoimmune disease, is that by keeping the nasal passages moistened, germs can't implant. I am often the only one at work that doesn't catch the colds, sniffles and flu bugs that go around - and I'm the one with the autoimmune problem! The people at work that have gotten a Neti and use it have seen the same result. The use the Neti's at National Jewish Hospital here in Denver, which is a world renowned center for asthma, allergy and othe breathing problems, as well.

Try it - it's wonderful to not have to deal with the sinus problems anymore!