View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyj View Post
Thanks for your replies, pabb and jccglutenfree.

No, I was not tested for total IgA. Because I registered something (2 RU/ml) for the Gliadin IgA, I was assuming that this meant that I was not IgA deficient - ie. if I was deficient, I would have registered nothing. Is this not right?

If I am not IgA deficient, then what would such a high level of Gliadin IgG potentially mean? Wouldn't it be unusual to have high IgG but normal IgA?

Thanks for your links, Cara, which I've been looking at. I also found this on ** website:

>>If a patient’s celiac panel is only positive for antigliadin IgG, this is not highly suggestive for CELIAC DISEASE if the patient has a normal total IgA level, corrected for age. [...] A markedly elevated antigliadin IgG, such as greater than three to four times the upper limit of normal for that lab, is highly suggestive of a condition where the gut is leakier to gluten. This can happen in food allergies, cystic fibrosis, parasitic infections, Crohn’s disease, and other types of autoimmune GI diseases.<<

I've found other material on the web about so-called "leaky gut syndrome", though it seems this is somewhat controversial and not an accepted diagnosis in mainstream medicine.

My symptoms have been fatigue/lethargy (which is why I was first checked for Vitamin B12 and found to be deficient). I had B12 shots and was taking B12 sublinguals but have had no noticeable increase in energy. Other symptoms have been short term memory loss and some other cognitive symptoms (lack of clarity, generally feeling slow mentally, thinking one word but saying another); depression and anxiety; psoriasis and eczema (pre-existing for years); thirst/dry mouth; thinning hair. Previously I had some tingling and numbness in the extremities but this has stopped.

Any additional advice or ideas from anyone would be welcome. Thanks greatly.
now, you KNOW what they say about that word........
pabb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote