View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi leenewton,

First, please refrain from smoking as long as you possibly can. What better time to quit!!

Secondly, continue on the antibiotics as prescribed. You might consider supplementing with a probiotic like Culturelle to avoid intestinal complications from the antibiotic.

Thirdly, it is not unusal for the area to be painful for the first few days. If by tomorrow (friday), the area is still quite painful, then call the oral surgeon and let him evaluate it for a dry socket. Smokers are more likely to get a dry socket than non smokers especially if you smoked up until you had the tooth extracted.

And last but not least....... rinse several times a day with warm salt water for the next 3 weeks or so. This helps to keep the surgical site clean and aids in the healing process.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenewton1 View Post
Hi
i had severe tooth pain sunday/monday and tuesday this week,i had the tooth pulled out at 10am wednesday morning which was a wonderful relief. The tooth was a molar at the bottom right of my mouth, i got home and the numbness started to wear off,there was a lot of soreness which i expected,the dentist told me it was a very bad tooth. I am a smoker but havent had a cigeratte in 4 days and have no desire to any time soon,it is 3am and im up with severe pain again unable to sleep at all and totally depending on the vicodin that i was given,i was also given anti-biotics (taken 2 so far) they are amoxicillin 500mg. Its been many years since i had a molar removed and just dont remember it been this painful after the tooth has gone,i guess i might be wrong!!! Is this normal for a molar and does anybody know how long to tolerate this pain for before i need to return to my dentist to see if there is a problem and also does anybody know whats best for pain,i have the vicodin which kills about 95% of the pain.

thank you
lee.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote